Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Word on Pseudonyms

Okay, gang-

As some of you already know, I am a "Ted," but my legal name is not Mendelssohn. Why then, you may ask, am I not using my family name? Am I ashamed? Of course not.

Here's why:

1. My family name is longer and filled with consonants. More than once, in fact, I've twigged a telemarketer by the way they mispronounced it. So I'm using my dad's dad's. He won't mind.

2. In addition to my efforts to entertain you with Henry's adventures, I'm also a copywriter and (occasionally) a writer in other venues that are much, much different from TWS. So I kind of want to brand this puppy. When you see the Mendelssohn name, you'll know what you're getting-

Lots of fun! That's what you'll be getting!

Yee-haw!

1 comment:

  1. I just misspelled "Mendelssohn" in ad copy.

    And telemarketers are obligated to get names wrong. There was a joke on "Family Guy" about it: Peter Griffin bitches out a telemarketer for calling him Peter Gifford.

    I think you can guess why I actually laughed at that particular "Family Guy" joke.

    But I totally understand about branding and the use of names to differentiate between different but similar professional activities.

    Em

    ReplyDelete