Friday, November 27, 2015

This Would Have Surprised Henry Not At All

I'm enjoying this article in the Guardian discussing how the monks of Glastonbury faked - gasp! yes, I said faked! - not just Arthur and Guinevere's resting place, but the Holy Grail and Joseph of Arimathea too. I wouldn't go so far as to draw all the lessons he draws from these episodes, but then, I'm not a writer of op-eds.

If you've read The Wrong Sword (and if you haven't, why not? It's only 99¢ today) you know that my protagonist, Henry the Rat, dabbles in selling the occasional forged relic. What I like about Simon Jenkins' piece is that it illustrates one of the biggest (and not necessarily warranted) assumptions in TWS - that certain aspects of human nature remain unchanged, even after a thousand years.

No comments:

Post a Comment